Happy Trails Asia beliefs firmly that the future in traveling goes hand in hand with an eye and a heart for the details of responsible tourism and subscribes to the definition of sustainable tourism written by the UN World Tourism Organisation (1988):
Sustainable tourism meets the needs of present tourists and host regions while protecting and enhancing opportunity for the future. It is envisaged as leading to management of all resources in such a way that economic, social and aesthetic needs can be fulfilled while maintaining cultural integrity, essential ecological processes, biological diversity and life support systems.
As a local DMC we welcome all travelers to our destinations and promote tourism with an attitude of tolerance and respect for the diversity of beliefs and way of lives and we observe the social and cultural traditions and practices, including those of minorities and indigenous people. Our tourism activities are conducted in harmony with the destination and in respect for the local laws, traditions, and customs.
Happy Trails! Asia is committed to minimize the negative economic, environmental and social impacts connected to tourism and generate economic benefits for local people and enhances the wellbeing of our staff and the host communities our travelers visit. We support the conservation of natural and cultural heritage and dedicate every year money to some projects to alleviate poverty e.g. education of children, clean water in dry area’s.
Happy Trails! Asia Sustainability policy
To make tourism more sustainable whilst delivering quality travel experiences to travelers from all over the world. We aim to maximize the positive contributions of tourism for local communities and the natural environment whilst understanding that there are potential negative environmental, socio-cultural and economic impacts connected to the travel industry if operations are not managed properly. We commit to being open, honest and realistic about the impacts of our activities and will specifically:
Training of HTA Team
- Ensure that responsible tourism principles and continuous improvements in sustainability travels are based at the core of our business.
- Ensure a safe working environment for our employees both in our offices and during the tours we operate.
- Provide our employees, both office and field-based, with comprehensive training and opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Reduce our environmental impact by finding creative ways to reduce, reuse and recycle waste.
- Measure and monitor energy consumption and water use in all our operations, with the aim of reducing usage.
Waste management at our headquarters.
- Use more sustainable forms of transportation and reduce our carbon footprint where feasible.
- Give preference to local goods and services that benefit the communities that we operate in as well having a positive effect on the environment, including locally-owned accommodation, excursions and tour leaders from the destination.
- Engage with and support our suppliers to improve the responsibility of their operations.
- Give preference to accommodation providers that have sustainability certification and/or are showing improvement in the sustainability of their operations.
- Develop products that showcase the best of our destinations whilst providing opportunities for locals and preserving the natural environment.
- Raise awareness about sustainability issues and cooperate with all stakeholders in the destinations we operate in so as to preserve them for future generations, locals and visitors alike.
- Provide factually correct messages and keep our clients informed about sustainability issues in the destinations we operate in.
If you have any questions, comments, remarks or suggestions about our responsible tourism approach, please feel free to email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy Trails! Asia- Indonesia Office is now Travelife certified
Travelife is an international certification scheme which has been developed by the travel industry, for the travel industry. Travelife has been designed as an affordable and fair system to help organizations in the travel industry (tour operators, hotels) to improve the way they manage their social and environmental issues. By complying with the requirements of the Travelife certification system (set in 3 levels: Engaged, Partner or Certified level) a travel company can manage and improve its social, environmental and economic impacts. Happy Trails! Asia decided to engage with the certified level, which is the highest level of certification.
On November 9th 2016, Happy Trails! Asia – Indonesia office was awarded their Travelife certification. It is the goal of Happy Trails! Asia to add their other operating offices to this certification in the near future.
If you are interested to read more about our successes and future goals, please have a look at our report on Travelife Reporting 2017
Find out more if you are a tour operator and you want to know more about Travelife sustainability certification
Find out more if you are a tour leader and you want to find materials for Tour leader training.
Find out more about upcoming GSTC trainings on Sustainability for Tour Operator.
Find out more about sustainable driving techniques.